Chief Edward N. Richards
200 Phoenix Ave.
Enfield, CT 06082
For Immediate Release
Friday, Aug. 16, 2019
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Enfield Fire Rescue Warns Against Donation Scam
The Department is Not Currently Soliciting Monetary Donations
ENFIELD — Chief Edward Richards reports that residents should be aware of a scam involving an individual falsely claiming to be collecting donations on behalf of Enfield Fire Rescue.
Earlier today, a resident reported receiving a phone call from an unknown person who claimed to be an employee of Enfield Fire. The caller was seeking donations on behalf of Enfield Fire for between $35 and $100. The number the call came from was 860-776-0119.
Chief Richards would like residents to be aware that Enfield Fire is not currently soliciting monetary donations and any phone calls or emails asking for donations are a scam.
“Residents should disregard any calls from individuals claiming to be soliciting donations on behalf of our department,” Chief Richards said. “I applaud this resident for being suspicious of the caller, and for checking the validity of the call with our department.”
To avoid falling victim to telephone scams, Enfield Fire recommends that residents follow these tips outlined by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC):
- Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers. Let them go to voicemail.
- If you answer and the caller (often a recording) asks you to hit a button to stop receiving calls, hang up. Scammers often use these tricks to identify, and then target, live respondents.
- If you receive a scam call, write down the number and file a complaint with the FTC.
- Ask your phone service provider if it offers a robocall blocking service. You can also visit the FTC’s website for information and resources on available robocall blocking tools to help reduce unwanted calls.
- Consider registering all of your telephone numbers in the National Do Not Call Registry. Access the registry online or by calling 1-888-382-1222.
These scams can also be reported to the FTC at 877-382-4357, as well as the Enfield Police Department at 860-763-6400.