Chief Edward N. Richards
200 Phoenix Ave., Enfield, CT 06082
For Immediate Release
Saturday, June 8, 2019
Media Contact: Jordan Mayblum
Enfield Fire Department Extinguishes House Fire Likely Caused by Candle
ENFIELD, Connecticut — Chief Edward N. Richards reports that the Enfield Fire Department responded to a house fire Saturday morning.
At 10:26 a.m., Enfield Fire was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 21 Burnham St. Upon arrival, firefighters observed heavy fire showing from a second floor bedroom window and immediately began an exterior attack, followed by an interior attack and transitional attack.
The lone occupant of the home was alerted to the fire by a smoke detector and was able to escape without injury, along with her dog.
Enfield Firefighters were assisted on scene by the remaining four fire departments in town, and the fire was subsequently brought under control within 30 minutes.
An initial investigation by the Enfield Fire Marshal indicates that an unattended candle in the bedroom is the likely cause of the fire. The resident was asleep on the first floor when the fire started.
“This incident is a case study in both the danger of leaving candles burning unattended, and the critical importance of having working smoke detectors in the home,” Chief Richards said. “I’m grateful that nobody was hurt as a result of this fire, and am proud of the work all of the firefighters on-scene did to quickly bring it under control.”